Friday, June 8, 2012

Stuffed Tomatoes

My tomatoes plants look good this year.  I planted 4 hybrid Celebrity, 3 heritage Brandywine and a couple of others which I can't remember. 




The local Ag man here recommended these two for my area. 


In the past, I have had no luck with heritage varieties, but I hope my luck will be different this year.


My first 2 tomatoes to ripen were the Celebrity.  So tonight for dinner I made one of my favorite dishes.  I found this recipe over 20 years ago and no longer have it, so I can't write amounts of the ingredients.  I rarely measure anything anyway. 
First I cook a cup of wild rice.  To stuff 2 medium tomatoes use about 1/3 of a package of frozen spinach, thawed and chopped.  Half a cup of chopped walnuts.  Mixed them in a bowl.  Add enough olive oil so the ingredients will stick together.
Sorry for the blurry picture.
Add Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.  Core the tomatoes and cut them like a flower like in my picture.  Then stuff them.  I love this and if the tomatoes are large, it's a whole meal. 




 Since these were medium, I cooked some salmon with it.  
Just another blurry picture or maybe I drank too much wine while I was cooking.
 I'm looking forward to many more dishes with my homegrown tomatoes.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not all that fond of tomatoes, but these look great. You've done a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love stuffing tomatoes especially now the they are in season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dish! When we once had a breakfast buffet, this was served and I enjoyed it very much... this is very healthy and good for the body as well. Happy weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tomatoes! I don't do the heritage stuff. I grow early girl and better boy. They produce well and are tasty. I like to eat tomatoes just like an apple but your recipe sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been enjoying tomato sandwiches! Whooo that's good! One of Ken's favorite meals is a stuffed tomato (with tuna) and blackeyed peas...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes in Phoenix suck. They taste like, well nothing. I grew up in NJ and miss those Jersey tomatoes every summer darn it.

    Now following :)

    ReplyDelete