![]() |
| Paxton & Courtney at their home. |
| Don, Paxton, and Me |
All 3 of my children called me last weekend for landscaping or gardening advise. As in my Spring Fever blog, you know I set a killer example for that. Anyway, Paxton mentioned that he bought a lawn mower. Paxton and I go way back with lawn mowers. While my kids were growing up, I usually mowed the lawn. Paxton began helping me mow when he was only 3 years old. I pushed at the top (normal position) and he was between me and the mower pushing on the crossbar. He would do that the entire time.
![]() |
| Me, Bridget, Jacquie and Paxton |
When he got old enough to mow by himself, we paid him to do the mowing. He was the best person I have ever hired. He shot for perfection. One day while he was mowing the yard at the shop we had, I heard a loud pop. I ran outside and found Paxton on the ground holding his leg. He was in great pain. I looked where he said it hurt. There was only a very small puncture wound on the front of his leg. It looked like a mark a bee sting would make. But there was no swelling, just a tiny drop of blood. He said he thought he should go to the doctor. But if there is no blood and guts, then all is well. I rubbed the spot and asked if he could stand up. He hopped around for a minute and said he would finish the job. We decided the mower must have thrown something out the back and it hit his leg. No real injury.
A couple of times during the next few days Paxton said his leg hurt, so I would rub it. But I didn't see anything that could make it hurt.
About 3 months later, he was doing a forward roll into a classroom and hit his leg on a chair. Suddenly, a rather large knot popped up on the back of his calf on that same leg. Paxton went straight to the office and gave me a call. "My leg has a huge knot on it and you can't just rub it. I want to go to the doctor now." he said.
![]() |
| Me and Paxton |
I really felt bad because Paxton had told me several times that his leg hurt. But I would just rub where he said it hurt and give him an aspirin.
Hopefully, when he is mowing now he remembers to wear safety glass and shin guards. Full body armor might be advisable.



Charlotte thanks for sharing... I think the underlying motto is that parents can't protect their kids from everything that can happen to them. It's natural to feel guilty when we fail.
ReplyDeleteYour story reminds me of a time when Judy and I were driving to the grocery store with Alison and Michael in the back seat. As we were driving along, we heard this cough/gag/choking sound coming from the back seat. We had given Alison a quarter to play with while we were driving around. Judy turned around to see what was going on. The quarter was gone. Judy immediately went into panic mode and diverted us to the closest emergency room. The doctor said "well she didn't choke so the worst is over"... "it'll probably work it's way through her system". For all we know, the quarter is still in her.
Thanks Ed for sharing your story. I know just about every parent has done something like that and wondered later what were they thinking. Thank good the children survived. In your case, you know your daughter is worth something :) lol
ReplyDelete