 |
| Wedding Party, Paxton, Best Man and Gave the Bride Away |
Today, May 20th, is my 19th Wedding Anniversary. Since Don works nights and sleeps all day, it just kind of came and went.
I was first married the day after I got out of high school, on May 12, 1973. I married my high school sweetheart and fellow bus rider; though we only rode the bus together 1 year because I was a sophomore and Robert was a senior. We were married for 18 years, 13 years of college and 3 children. I believe 13 years of college would kill any marriage. We were both in school, having babies and going crazy.
Don was married to his first wife for 16 years and they had one daughter. I told Don tonight, "Just think, we could have been married for 37 years, if we had married first." He replied, "Yes, I'd be dead and you would be in prison, likely way before we made it to 37 years." My question is,
why am I the one that ends up in prison? Anyway, I know he is only joking with a tiny tinge of truth. But, maybe, that is why he gives in to me
sometimes--he's afraid I'll kill him if he doesn't. Okay, fear works for us!
 |
| Marriage License, Making it Legal |
Don and I are both first borns. So both of us are in charge and we each are going to have things our way. Therefore, usually, he does his thing (read and nap) and I do my thing (everything else under the sun). But we really are extremely similar philosophically. He just expresses it in a low energy introverted way and I'm a high energy extrovert. Psychologists don't recommend that first borns marry because they will always be butting heads. Thank goodness we
both are very hardheaded. I think our little goats are very representative of us. It is so funny to see how they are always playing round head butting. I guess both of our first marriages dehorned us, making the head butting less painful. Don claims he was very controlling before he met me. Obviously, controlling would not work with me. We, for the most part, got that worked out the 2 years we dated. We really didn't think we would make it, in fact, we broke up more than once.
 |
| Paper Work Complete |
The first time Don called me and asked if I would go to a movie with him, I said "Maybe." We hung up with that and then he called me back and said "Well are you going with me or not?" I said, "Maybe, I haven't gone on a date since became a single mother of 3 and don't know what I'll do with them. So, yes, if I get it worked out."
 |
| Reception catered by Dominoes |
Well, we managed to get a lot of things worked out. Putting together 2 sets of children, buying a house together, working together in a business for 10 years and now being alone together. Now 19 years have passed and
it's kind of amazing that we still love each other.
 |
| Our pasted together Family |
ummm...19 years...seems like yesterday...You look like Bridget in some of those pictures...Don does deserve an award for helping you break your record!
ReplyDeleteI love this: "Why am I the one that ends up in prison?" Congratulations and happy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHope you have at least 20 more. Iknew the frist would not last He was controlling also. When i lived ther I heard some heated words from Charlotte. If I heard Don He won. If he was mad enough to be heard she would listen. For the most part they did very well. He is a good Son-in-law.
ReplyDelete