Little Ace was there as expected and no sign of a first chick. Then I looked down in the run and there lay little chick from egg #5. I yelled and Don scooped it up with a little sand bucket shovel. I had not expected to see a baby chick. It must have hatched in the wee hours of the morning and hopped out of the coop and fell into the run. It probably didn't die from the fall. Baby chicks have to stay at 95 degrees, so it likely got too cold. Cracker was standing beside it. It was probably dead before Cracker woke up. Anyway, I have shut the door so no more chicks can fall out of the coop. When I checked tonight about 7, there was not sign of a chick trying to hatch. It's wait and see.
"The Little Family" just came over and we candled the 6 remaining eggs. It wasn't egg #5 that hatched; it was #1. There was no broken egg shell, so Little Ace must have eaten the shell after the chick hatched. Last week, we thought #5 would be the first to hatch. It didn't look so good tonight. Anyway, we amateurs think #6 and #7 looked best tonight. We could see #3 moving around, but it didn't look big. We are fairly sure all the eggs have chicks in them with the exception of #5--and we don't know what it is doing. I took pictures, but they don't really look like what we were seeing. We could see feathers.
It's wait and see what hatches. This time the door is closed!
| I had the flash on. |
| There is an air pocket at one end of the egg. |
I'm so sorry about your lil chick. These things happen. I hope Cracker & Lil Ace will not give up! Love that the family down the street is so very helpful with the flashlight business. This is so good for those little children. SO VERY EDUCATIONAL! Love it1
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, now I'm reading your blog and I'll be looking for a new one to find out what is happening to the chicks! Sort of a chicken soap opera going on down there!
ReplyDelete