Thursday, September 15, 2011

One Makes a Departure From the Backyard Farm

Chicken formerly known as Olive. 


Remember the juvenile chicken that flew over the fence a couple of weeks ago that I just named Olive, because I am excited about the possibility that it will lay olive colored eggs.  This was a very special chicken, because it was one of 4 of our first eggs every to hatched here.  
Olive a combination of these 2 eggs.











  
 Saturday when my sister Debbie arrived for our Tulsa trip, her husband Ken drove her. Their son, Ben, met them here so he could visit with everyone.  Ben and Ashley live in Fayetteville, AR and have 4 extraordinarily beautiful children.  

Big Foot
Ken and Ben also have a lot more experience with chickens than I do.  When Ben was growing up, he actually raised them and showed them at the fair.  Anyway, they took one look at Olive and said I should have named that chicken Oliver.  And I should not be anticipating eggs of any color.  I was crushed and really wanted to remain in denial. I knew that chicken was too pretty to be a hen.  Anyway, I have to stick to my guns and not keep another rooster.  My small backyard farm is only big enough for one mean rooster and if I had any sense, he should become dinner. 

So Ken put Oliver in a box and took him home with him.  I do not want any updates on what became of Oliver.  But I did say that if the chicken laid an egg to bring her back.


2 comments:

  1. Laughing Out Loud! Why not allow him to breed to see before giving him away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver likes his new home, but Ken did have to put Chantecleer in another pen. He (Chanty) rules the roost around here and he was making Oliver stay roosted on the water bucket. Now Oliver is still roosting but nobody is "picking" on him...

    ReplyDelete