Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Little Goat Shack Gets an Addition

This past week Don agreed to add a covered area to the goat shack so if we ever do get rain their hay will stay dry.  We did get a little rain last night.  The goats waste a lot of hay.  I've read that they typically waste 25%.  I'm mixing coastal hay with alfalfa.  They seem to throw out mostly coastal hay since they have a definite preference for the alfalfa.


That adds up to a good amount of money, so that motivated Don to build the cover. 
















I'm still using the 2 tubs I've repurposed.

 I'm shopping for the perfect hay rack. But once I buy one, that will probably lead to having to buy a different one when the first proves to not work as well as I thought it would. So I just keep shopping and getting by with the tubs.  At least the hay stays dry.  If anyone has information on a hay rack that I can fasten to the wall and the goats won't waste it, feel free to send your suggestion.  I would appreciate it.

Now I need to scrape off the old paint and paint.  I wanted to paint it pink and the grandsons wanted orange, so we compromised with Sunny Park yellow.  It is a very bright yellow.

7 comments:

  1. Your goats are adorable! I hope you will join in our porch chat so we can get to know you. I put the blog up every week on Tuesday so everyone can have it for posting during the week. I hope to see you next week at Chats on the Farmhouse Porch.
    Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I love yellow. I bet it will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea! I may have to borrow the general concept and use it in the chicken & goose yards ;) Oh yes, and we also need another covered area for feeding hay in the donkey pen. It never ends, does it? Looks like there was lots of capable (& cute!) help, and those little goaties are so adorable! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little house for cute little goats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this little goat house. I just called my husband in here to look at it! It would be suited to other animals, too... like ducks and geese! I am so glad I saw this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww!! A sunshine yellow goathouse for these gorgeous goats!! How wonderful! How lovely!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goats surely know how to waste hay. And once it's on the ground and they step on it, they rarely eat it. When we had goats we had a closed in manger (so they couldn't jump in and sleep in it) that had stantion holes big enough to get their head in at the top, but when they were down eating they couldn't pull their heads out. They still wasted some hay, but not near as much. That could work so neat on the side of your goat house! Cute goats!!

    ReplyDelete