Saturday, May 14, 2011

3 Cheeps From the Coop






Connor with chick #1
I posted on Facebook the hatching of the chick on Thursday, since Blogger was down for many hours.





1st chick, Pooh and the other 2 against the bear.


Yes, they eat on nice china.


I was right about 2 chicks hatching Friday! Another one from Omelet's egg and one from a green egg or Easter Egger. They hatched a few hours apart and were still wet and couldn't walk very well.  The one the hatched Thursday was running around, drinking water and eating.  It must take about 24 hours for a chick to get hungry and strong enough to eat.

You can really tell the 3 different ages.
3rd chick just hatched.
Tonight all three are eating, drinking, running around and cheeping.
 

I do feel a little guilty taking them from Little Ace after she has sat on the eggs for 29 days.  None of the 3 that are left have hatched today.  Surely 2 more will hatch tomorrow.  I'm thinking about leaving the ones that hatch now with Little Ace.  I just don't know if they will be okay.  I don't have room for 6 more chickens, so I could afford to experiment.
I just hate seeing dead chicks.
See the yellow fuzzy butts.
  
Grandson, Chase, has named the first chick, Pooh, because when Chase came over I had put a little Pooh Bear in the crate for it to snuggle with. Tonight, I can no longer tell the first 2 chicks apart.  They are both black with yellow on their wing tips and fuzzy yellow butts.  The other one is a little strange looking.  It appears to be all black, but there is a hint of a brown shading.  When it grows up it will likely be mostly brown.

Anyway they are safe and warm under the red heat lamp and snuggling with Pooh and each other.
Just 2 brown eggs and 1 green one left to hatch.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! Who needs an incubator with such great lil hens around. Yeah for the old school way of doing things!!! Has Conner realized yet that Lil Ace is a girl or does he think Lil Ace is just a great Dad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like the old saying "You can take a girl out of the country but you can,t take the country out of the girl." With girls like mine why would you want to.

    ReplyDelete