Friday, August 12, 2011

Critter in My House

He did put on gloves after the squirrel bit him.
Wednesday night Bridget heard a loud thump on their front door.  She looked out and saw their cat, Katie, with something that looked like a rat and it looked dead.  Trinity went to check it out and it was a little flying squirrel which was very much alive.  In fact, it took a chunk out of his hand. Trinity brought it down to my house to borrow a pet cage.  Then Bridget said he could not keep it in their house.  Trinity said he just wanted to keep it over night so he could show it to the boys tomorrow.  So guess where the squirrel slept.  Yes, in my house.
Trinity knows to play the grandson card.


Well, I had a 9:30 doctors appointment Thursday, so I got up and left and gave no thought to the squirrel.  My grandson, Chase was at my house when I got home and quickly asked, "Where is the flying squirrel?"  I said in the pet crate your dad put him in last night.  Chase then said it is not in there.  I said, "Well, maybe Grampa let it go."  So I didn't think about it again until Don got up at 6 pm.  No, Don had not let the squirrel go.  So I called Trinity and told him to bring the boys and find that squirrel.  It couldn't be loose in the house.
It looked like an invasion with lights flashing in my front yard; Trinity and the 2 grandsons coming through the yard with flashlights.  We looked everywhere in the den where the crate was kept; including in and under the sofa and chair, ceiling fan fixture and bookshelves.  Then the dining room and finally in the living room where I had been watching TV.  I spotted the little creature on the floor under the bay window and table.  After the boys took a good look and a few pets, we released it on a pine tree in the goat yard.  I never see any cats back there, so maybe the little fellow can live out its life in the great outdoors.

Readers beware that a flying squirrel can flatten itself out and get through very small holes.  My mom said she had one in a bird cage once and it got out.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fun time trying to catch Mr. Squirrel. Squirrels are cute but do not make the best house pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we had two. They chewed on my mantle a beautiful wooden clock on the mantle. They were really sweet. We got them before they could walk good. I kept them in a box. When I got up I fed them. The one I made wait, was just as sweet as could be. Waited until I finised feeding the frist one.
    my blog www.gardingwithjuanita.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a tiny flying squirrel come into that house I rented from Don 15 years ago . . . it took 3 hours for my dad and I to catch the little stinker, it was so FAST! I reckon he was never so glad to see his pine tree out front as he was that evening, lol. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete