Sunday, August 14, 2011

On a Roller Coaster

This week has been quite a roller coaster of highs and lows.
It started with Cracker's death. (low) 

Ava, Chase, Kennedy, Connor and Audrey

Then keeping 3 grandchildren and 2 nieces for 2 days. (high?) 








Then the smallest of the 4 juvenile chicks died.  She was about a third the size of her siblings and her beak's top and bottom didn't line up and she had a missing eye because her hatching mother didn't recognize her and beat her up. A couple of years ago when the first chicken died, Don got it out of the coop and buried it before I ever saw her. With these two deaths,  I was on my own.  But for every life there is a death.                                                    (low, for sure)



I got Kennedy's birthday tutu made and it fit! (high)

Kennedy had her 1st birthday. (high)

Then the rumor of Dr. Dawkins' getting a job in Atlanta and leaving. (both, high and low at the same time)

When I got home last evening, Dottie Belle was acting strange.  I told Don to go check on her in the morning before I get up. I was afraid she might be dead.  But he forgot, so I had to.  And her behavior this morning was very, very strange. I really thought she was going to die and she still might. (the pits)


That is a water trough for Chase to be immersed.



Connor and Kennedy were christened and Chase was baptized at First Methodist this morning. (very high)









But after that, I left the sanctuary to call a veterinarian.  I paged 2 that work with exotics or livestock and talked with the vet at the emergency animal hospital on Live Ave.  The emergency vet said absolutely no; they were swamped and he didn't have time for an exotic animal.  I've never heard a goat called exotic, but I think Dottie Belle likes that.  One called me back and said he does not do well with goats and sheep are even worse.  I asked him what he meant by that, and he replied, "They die."  Then Dr. Powers called me back and I described her symptoms and he said she either has tetanus or "stargazing" polio.  I said both of those sound fatal.  But she has had a tetanus shot so that's not likely it.  All he said was bring her to my office at 9 am tomorrow.  I asked were they contagious, so should I bring Gypsy. He replied, "If I want to."  So tomorrow will be their first ride in the truck since they came to live here.
During all of this, my daughter-in-law, Courtney, was texting her dad, who is a dog and cat vet. He owns Riverside Animal Hospital.  My dogs and cats go to him and he is the BEST--really.  He looked up goat polio and found out it is caused by a thymine deficiency.  So he came over with 4 shots; 2 for Dottie Belle and 2 for Gypsy--just in case.  That was just too wonderful! Particularly, since he had said when I got the girls that he would not be their vet.
About an hour after he gave her the shot she improved a little.  I have a video of her before the shot took affect.  You can see why it is called stargazing polio.  Symptoms of Polioencephalomalacia can be any combination of or all of the following: excitability, "stargazing," uncoordinated staggering and/or weaving (ataxia), circling, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and blindness.
I described her behavior like she was in a drunk stupor. She acts blind and walks very little and stumbles when she does.  Mostly she just stands still and moves her head back and forth like she is watching something. You will notice I had some problems taking the video because Gypsy kept bumping me. Hopefully, the vet will cure her tomorrow.
This mini urban farm thing sure has its stresses.






No comments:

Post a Comment