Monday, February 13, 2012

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

The Mardi Gras season is in full swing in Louisiana.  When I was growing up in rural northeast Louisiana, we did not know anything about it.  





Mardi Gras was for Catholics and we were Southern Baptists.  Mardi Gras was a city wide party with parades for drunks and crazy people in New Orleans.  Today, I have never been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. 


But Shreveport and many towns and cities through-out Louisiana have Mardi Gras parades now.  Even schools have them with the children making floats out of shoe boxes. They try to make the city parades more for families. 





It is fun for kids to stand on the side of the street and catch beads and such as some very imaginative floats pass by.  I've attended several through the years but not really very often.

 

The grandsons and I did hang ornaments and beads from the Cypress tree in my front yard.  And I put a purple, green and gold wreath on the front door.






 Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday this year is February 21.  That is the last day of feasting before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. In the Roman Catholic Church, Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the season of preparation for the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday.


So from now until the 22nd, let the good times roll.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"






4 comments:

  1. I would love to see this. I think it is one of those things where you really just have to be there. My oldest daughter got to go one year in high school with the band. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left out the best part of Mardi Gras, THE KING CAKE and the baby! I love me some King Cake & I love you! Fun post...I do remember Daddy taking us to New Orleans though, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wrote that and then noticed one of your ads is for King Cakes with over night delivery! You can get cream-filled or pecan praline OOHH LA LA! The site also has some Clementine Hunter "stuff". What a GREAT ad! Every one should visit it for a little Louisiana flavor! I live here and I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete